MeeMeeTheArts.Blogspot.Com

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Cassandra Hesseltine was recently appointed to her position as the Humboldt/ Del Norte county Film Commissioner. I recently interviewed her about her career. We are located where California bumps into Oregon, with pristine mountains, Redwood forests, solitary beaches, moody fog and loads of talented artists.

MOLLOY: What exactly are the duties of a Film Commissioner?

HESSELTINE:  It is my responsibility to connect visiting film production houses with our local caterers, hotels, crews, required permits, supporting cast, and locations.

MOLLOY: And if there are money troubles?

HESSELTINE: I'm sorry, we cannot help with financials.

MOLLOY: Is the bulk of your work in feature films or commercials?

HESSELTINE: Right now we have two feature films interested in working here, with about two or three commercials every three weeks or so during the spring and summer.

MOLLOY: This interview is for an assignment with Full Sail University, do you have any advice for students who are considering being part of the film industry?

HESSELTINE: I would say to remain open to all jobs in the industry. For example, I had various jobs including actor, crew, assistant director, casting, and producing. Just be ready for anything.

MOLLOY: What is your academic background, and did it prepare you for your current position?

HESSELTINE: I graduated from Humboldt State University with a Psychology Major and Computer and Theatre Minors. After I graduated, I went to work in the Los Angeles and San Francisco areas within my field. This was very helpful because I was then able to anticipate what would be required of me as Film Commissioner here.

MOLLOY: What do you like the most about your job?

HESSELTINE: The best part of my job is to be able to find creative solutions for an industry that I love but also be able to raise a family and be a good mom here in beautiful Humboldt County.


Contact: Humboldt Film Commission (707)825-7600; email: filmcommission@rreelinc.org. Http://www.filmhumboldt.org.

For more information regarding film production work in your state you may contact The American  Motion Picture and Television Industry website, Http://www.mpaa.org. The industry is a major private sector employer, supporting 2.2 million jobs, and nearly $137 billion in total wages in 2009.



No comments: